Sunday, October 31, 2010

Chapter Ten

Chapter 10 of this wonderful English textbook is about evaluating resources as possible evidence and integrating resources into an argument. This was an extremely short chapter, which I felt was refreshing and appropriate. This chapter was the epitome of boring; however, I could see how some information could be relatively important to my assigned research paper.

One of the things I found to be of some importance was the point the authors make on page 200: "your audience will want to know that you have critically evaluated your evidence in an appropriate manner." I will put this in student-terms. It is important to not appear like a bullshitter to your audience. It is very important to construct an argument with the least amount of holes possible. Having a solid argument is vital to a paper; therefore, having solid sources is necessary.

This chapter talks about how people typically trust the editorial and peer reviewed process to "weed out" bad or incorrect information. However, education and other important institutions have been proven wrong before, so it may be a good idea to double check the information of articles and the credibility or sources.

Just when I thought this chapter actually might be of use and that the textbook wasn't totally worthless, I came across another suggestion box talking about the importance of cluster maps. I absolutely hate cluster maps and find them to have no place in the world. I can't stand this book just because it puts such a large emphasis on cluster maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment