Sunday, December 5, 2010

Freedom Post- PR

I would like to take advantage of this blog post in which we can discuss whatever we choose, to talk about how much I love my major. Because honestly, my entire life revolves around my major of Public Relations.

I never knew what PR was until I chose it before my freshman, after being told my multiple people that they thought I would do well in it. My concept of PR was mostly formed by Sex and the City. But what I have discovered in my two year of being immersed in the PR field is that the stereotypes embodied by Sex and the City were very wrong, PR is much more important than how it is portrayed. Ask any company what the most vital component of their business is and the answer will be the customers. It's simple, without customers there is no one to buy a product, and with no buyers there is no business. PR can be many things but it all falls into one generality- PR improves the customer business relationship. This relationship is the key to a company's survival, thus making PR one of the most critical parts of a business' success.

An aspect of PR that I absolutely love is social media. I have a very active Facebook and Twitter account, and I use them multiple times every day. I would like to state an example of how awesome Twitter is. Three weeks ago, I ordered several things from Charlotte Russe online and was waiting for it to come in. Three days ago, I received an email stating my order was canceled because they were out of stock, and basically just didn't update their website. That night, I complained on Twitter and two hours later, I received an email from them apologizing and included a thirty dollar gift certificate including free shopping. The power of social media1! Also, it was good PR by Charlotte Russe by keeping up with Twitter and erasing a complaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment